GRACE HISTORY

The Grace Church congregation was formed as a class meeting in 1810 when Harrisburg still had dirt roads and itinerant preachers. By 1820 they moved into their first building. The current building was opened in sections between 1873-1878, with the steeple added in 1888. In February, 1897, when the Pennsylvania Capitol building burned down, Harrisburg almost lost its status as the capital city of Pennsylvania. Some in the legislature wanted to move the government to Philadelphia. Grace Church offered their building for the legislature's official use. All religious items and furnishings were removed, replaced by desks, chairs and spittoons. They met here until sometime in 1898. 

HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS
E. Irving Couse Mural
E. Irving Couse Mural

The Couse mural “Adoration of the Shepherds” was painted by commissioned artist E. Irving Couse in 1899 when he was only 33 years old. It was painted on a canvas and then transferred to the wall of the sanctuary. Several restorations and additions to the frame have taken place since then, but the original mural remains.

press to zoom
Italian Marble
Italian Marble

The Italian marble pulpit, lectern, baptismal and altar have intricate antique wood carvings and mosaic inlays of Tiffany Glass. Donated in the early 1900's.

press to zoom
Tiffany Glass
Tiffany Glass

Above the back balcony is “The Ascension” window made out of Tiffany glass. This was donated in 1903 by John Irving Beggs in loving memory of his wife, Sue Elizabeth Beggs.

press to zoom
E. Irving Couse Mural
E. Irving Couse Mural

The Couse mural “Adoration of the Shepherds” was painted by commissioned artist E. Irving Couse in 1899 when he was only 33 years old. It was painted on a canvas and then transferred to the wall of the sanctuary. Several restorations and additions to the frame have taken place since then, but the original mural remains.

press to zoom
1/6